Come out to the Black Oak, the old Hammond’s Brother building in Fyffe, this Saturday August 27th, from 10am – 1 pm, and reminisce with Clara Hammonds and the Hammonds family. Celebrating 75 years in Fyffe.
Hammonds Furniture was established in 1947 by Millard Hammonds and his brother in Fyffe. The store grew in to a business that included a soda fountain, appliance, paint, motorcycle department and a drug store.
Millard and his wife Clara ran the store along with 20 plus employees. As their children, David, Cindy and Mark, grew up they also began to work in the business. They shared a lot of great memories and learning experiences from growing up in a family owned business.
Cindy shared a memory of learning to demonstrate how to use one of the first microwaves on Sand Mountain. David tells about listening to Marvin Downer and the Bluegrass 4 as they pulled up on a flatbed truck to play music in town. Clara loved talking with customers and at the Hog Wild Sales event they held each year.
The business closed in the late 1980’s. Clara and the family would love to see everyone this Saturday, August 27th, 10am-1pm, to reunite and share great memories with them.
The Hammonds building has been restored and is now Black Oak Furniture owned by Vickie Hancock of The Cupboard LLC. The walls are filled with black and white photos of the town from the early 1900’s. So come by and enjoy the refreshments, listen to some good music and reconnect with the Hammonds family.