City of Rainsville Appoints New SRO Officer
The Rainsville City Council, in regular meeting tonight, approved to move Sgt. Stephen Malone from within the police department to SRO Officer for the city. Sgt. Malone will rotate between CCA (Cornerstone Christian Academy, The Dekalb Technology Center, and Plainview School. Also the council appointed a 15 member board for The Dekalb County Schools Coliseum. Members appointed to that board are:
Chris Hampton, Sandy Goff, Joey Graham, Rodney Williams, Monk Blevins, Melissa Ledbetter, Scott Timmons, Sammy Smith, Kelly Bunch, Scott Kirk, Donnie Frasier, Steve Bowman, Eric Samples, Bubba Johnson, and Skeeter Logan.
In other business, the council approved the following:
- To change the first council meeting for September to September 5, 2019.
- Accept a bid of $21,473.00 for a truck for the waste water treatment plant
- To send the City Clerk to training in Tuscaloosa August 28th – 30th
- To repair a sewer line of Vista View Drive
- To replace a culvert on Mockingbird Lane at a cost of $2,200.00
- To replace a culvert on Evert Road at a cost of $1,500.00
- To renovate the City Hall drive-thru at a cost of $14,330.00, with Jimmy Traylor Construction doing the renovations
- To reject the USDA loan for the sewer
- To accept Jacob Bowen’s resignation effective August 12, 2019
- To make Sgt. Stephen Malone the Police Department’s SRO Officer
- To post a job opening for the Police Dept., to hire a police officer
- To do the Taser 60 Program at a cost of $19,773.00, over the next 5 years. Money will come out of the Police Dept.’s savings account.
- To hire Ryan Hambrick as a part-time firefighter
- To hire Taylor Casey as a part-time firefighter
- Passed Resolution 8-19-2019, which states what the City of Rainsville will use funds received from the new gas tax the State of Alabama has passed. This resolution states those funds will be used to repair roads and bridges within the city.