Sherrie Hiett, executive director of Family Services of North Alabama, addressed the Dekalb County Commission and discussed the different programs and services in which they offer the community. Family Services of North Alabama is a non-profit organization and offers various programs, including an online safety program, which serves Marshall and Dekalb counties. According to Ms. Hiett, Family Services of North Alabama is the only agency in the state that does online safety. They go into the schools and talk to students about online predators, online grooming and pedophilia, and do parenting classes, for parents to understand smartphones and what their kids might be doing on their smartphones.
They offer many other services along with helping sexual assault victims with exams and counseling. Services provided by Family Services of North Alabama are free of charge for the community. According to Ms. Hiett, Family Services of North Alabama’s home office is located in Albertville and they have recently opened a location in Dekalb County, inside the Dekalb County Health Department. This gives sexual assault victims the ability to be examined closer to home and quicker.
If you would like additional information about the many programs and services offered by Family Services of North Alabama, visit their website at www.familyservicesna.org, or you call 256-878-9159.
- Wade Gap road is now re-opened.
- Started reclaiming projects on some roads in District #1
- Old Hwy 35 is still closed. Work should start around the end of July. Have been waiting on utilities to be relocated, to be able to start work on the road. The project is expected to take 8 – 12 weeks to complete.
- Approved bid invitation for pickup trucks for the road department, awarding bid to J.A. Wood Auction
- Approved to authorize Mr. Broyles to reorder dump trucks ($148,500) and road tractors ($136,760) for the road department.
Announced that the Dekalb County Public Library, at 504 Grand Ave. NW, Ft. Payne, AL 35967, will host a mobile mammography program (by CHI Memorial Mary Ellen Locher Breast Center), on Tuesday, August 6th from 9 am – 3 pm. This program is for women 35 years of age and above. To pre-register please call 423-495-4040. Insurance will be filed, if you have insurance coverage, so please bring your insurance card and picture ID. If you are uninsured, and age 35 or over, mammography will be performed and covered by grants and/or private donations received by the breast center.